Part One: Secure Your Devices
There’s already plenty to do to keep the family running smoothly. The last thing you need is a second job as a Cyber Security Technician. But you can easily make your family’s Internet experience more secure with a simple checklist and a little up-front preparation – so you can get back to your day job. As well as your night job. And your morning and evening jobs.
The Busy Parent’s Five Minute Cyber Security Checklist:
- Switch on lock screens for every device. This keeps your family’s information and identities out of the hands of thieves, opportunists and nosey classmates. You can do this in seconds on most devices.
- Ensure laptops and computers are password protected. Laptops especially, in case of theft or loss – and home computers in case of burglary or unreliable visitors.
- Check your WiFi & Router are password-protected. And check that you’ve changed them from the original admin passwords. This might take ten minutes, so pop it in your diary.
- Install – and use – anti-virus protection. Do this on every device that needs it. It only takes a minute, but it could save you a whole lot of time down the track.
- Make a plan to back it up. If anything does go wrong, you’ll at least have a copy of your precious data. Shop around for an affordable backup drive and use automated backup software, with reminders to make it happen.
Got that sorted? Got five minutes to spare? Step up to PART TWO: Understanding cyber security.